Chiropractic care is only the manual manipulation of the spine, right? Wrong! Chiropractic care is used to accomplish total health for the whole body, which includes the food and beverages we use to fuel our body. Dr. Pelphrey and his team of professionals at Pelphrey Chiropractic provide nutritional counseling to help patients achieve their optimal health through nutritious supplements and vitamins and healthy food choices.
What is Nutritional Counseling?
Nutritional counseling is when a healthcare professional aids a patient with assessing his or her dietary intake and identifying areas that need improvement or change by providing educational materials, support, and follow-ups. The overall goal is to help the patient make and maintain healthy dietary choices by working closely with a nutritional counselor. For people suffering from health disorders or taking prescription medications, the nutritional counselor can help customize a dietary plan to suit their individual needs.
How does Nutritional Counseling work?
Nutritional counseling works by creating a health roadmap for each patient to meet his or her specific needs and desires. Generally, the nutritional counselor uses regular meetings with the patient to make small changes towards a healthier lifestyle. Although each plan is unique, nutritional counseling generally tries to accomplish the same basic steps, including the following:
- Assessing body weight – One of the first steps is to determine the patient’s body mass index (BMI) to assess their body weight.
- Assessing dietary habits – An important step is to determine the typical food intake of each patient, including the types of food they eat and how frequently they eat. Tools, such as a daily food diary, are helpful to determine eating trends over time.
- Identify the necessary changes – Once the preliminary assessments are complete, it is important to determine what needs to be changed in order to reach the patient’s final goals. The counselor will work with the patient to determine problem areas and to prioritize the changes. Nutritional counselors can also help the patient overcome barriers that may be preventing change, such as social gatherings, food preferences or limited time.
- Set goals – The nutritional counselor will work with you to alter negative or limiting behaviors in order to achieve your desired goals.
- Providing support to maintain changes – Nutritional counseling works best when the patient has a strong support group to encourage them every step of the way. Self-monitoring is also a way to maintain realistic expectations and to help a patient maintain any dietary changes.
Who does Nutritional Counseling benefit?
Nutritional counseling can benefit a wide variety of people with different needs, but generally it works best for people who are looking to over haul their diet or to manage their medical conditions. Some conditions that benefit from nutritional counseling include allergies, celiac disease, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irritable bowel syndrome, obesity, or pregnancy.
How can Pelphrey Chiropractic help me?
Whether you are looking to lose weight or to gain a healthier lifestyle, nutritional counseling at Pelphrey Chiropractic can help. Our team of qualified professionals works one-on-one with patients to help them achieve their healthy lifestyle goals. Contact us today to learn how we can help you become the healthiest version of yourself!